Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sooooo it's been a while...

It's been almost a year since my last post...my bad. I got really into Tumblr for a while and was treating that as my primary blog when I felt like posting things. Plus people actually read what I post there, maybe. So in the last year I've had three jobs, changed my major, and decided I'm graduating early. Things have been busy, to say the least.

So I went home for the summer and worked at Barnes and Noble. I went up to Tahoe with Jeremy and his cousins for a weekend and basically just hung out. It was nice because my work went from 7am-11am so I still got to have a pretty great summer. I pretty much just lounged around my house and Jeremy's house and caught up with some friends. Nothing too exciting.

When I got back to school I was in a broadcast journalism class and I was really good at it and really liked it and so I applied to change my major to Television/Broadcast Journalism with an emphasis in Broadcast Journalism. I got a job at the Barnes and Noble down in Orange, worked one day and then found out that since I couldn't work winter break that they could couldn't keep me. I made $32 that day though so not a total loss.

Over winter break and part of Interterm I went to New York for a broadcast news class. It was a really interesting experience. I absolutely hated the city. I thought New York was dirty and disgusting and the people were more pretentious than the people in Orange County. But aside from that, I made some really good friends and had some really awesome experiences. I got to see New Year's Eve from Times Square, I promise you it's overrated, but everyone should do it at least to see for themselves. I ended up getting sick before midnight (too many Twizzlers) and went back to the hotel and watched the ball drop on TV. Going to Ellis Island was really cool, as was the 9/11 Memorial. Central Park was probably my favorite place in the whole city. We were doing a story on John Lennon in front of the apartment building where he got shot, which is right across the street from Central Park and so we decided to walk through the park to get back to the east side. We had done so much walking that day and gone all over the city, but it was such a beautiful day and the park was so peaceful. We got hot dogs and just took a break in the park. It was nice. On top of all of that, we visited a bunch of news stations. We took tours of FOX, CBS Sports, CNN, and NBC including some smaller affiliates as well. We went to the top of Rockefeller Center which was the most amazing view I've ever seen. Overall the trip was great and I learned New York City is a smelly, dirty, and not at all glamorous place (except for the 30 minutes we spent on the upper west side, that was nice).

Radio City Musical Hall at Christmas.

Ice skating at Rockefeller Center.

Control room at FOX News.

Megyn Kelly's set at FOX News.

Me with CNN anchor Brooke Baldwin. She was great! And so nice!

The view from the Top of the Rock.

New Year's Eve in Times Square.

CBS Sports.

After running up the steps from Rocky!
While on that trip, I got notified that I was accepted into the TV/BJ program. My major had been officially changed. I found out in an elevator in the Smithsonian on one of the days we spent in DC. I jumped up and down and squealed. I was not the only person in the elevator. It was awkward.

Which brings us to now. I just got a job at Disneyland, I'm about to finish up my second year at Chapman, I'm stressing about finding somewhere to live this summer, and I'm loving every minute of my life.

On a side note. I grew up in a pretty non religious household. I used to go to church with my neighbors and cousins and friends and I've been all kinds of churches. But recently I've started talking to Jeremy about his religion (he comes from a very religious family) and I've really liked it. I started reading the Bible and I went to church with Jeremy on Christmas and Easter. He's been trying to help me find a church I can go to down here because I actually really enjoyed it. He asked me if I was doing it because it was something that was really important to him or if I actually really wanted to and I thought about it and realized it was something I actually really wanted to do. I'm really excited to start going to churches in the area and figuring out which works for me.

Last thought...I went to my roommate's horse show last weekend. She does the thing where they jump over stuff. It's fascinating! I recommened going to a horse show at some point in your life! They're really cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment